Wednesday 14 August 2019

Anaesthetics

Oxford Street. Saturday night.

I'd just left the nightclub Gotham, where my friend Sani DJs. She plays an amazing mix of disco and RnB, not dissimilar to what I used to dance to in clubs in London.

I stop by Zambreros for a burrito on my way home, and I see a girl queueing in front of me in a brightly coloured outfit. "wow" I thought to myself- "She's really attractive. I'd really like to talk to her."
I paid for my burrito, then walked to her table. "Excuse me"
"Yes?" She replied.
"I think you're really attractive, and I'd really like to talk to you"
"Sure" she said. She was a little surprised, but pleasantly so.
"Your outfit- there's something very samba-ish about it" I told her. She told me that she'd just come from a brazilian themed party. I told her that I went to Brazil a couple of years ago with my capoeira team, and that I knew some basic samba, which she did, too. We talked about dance for a while, and I told her about my being a club dancer in London, and also that most salsa nights will play some samba music, too.

"I love it" she said "but sadly I don't get to go out as much these days. I'm simply too busy with work"
"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a doctor" she replied.
"Wow!" I said. "You must be really smart!"
"Thanks. It's a lot of work though. I've just been doing exams, and now I've got my research project to do"
"If you don't mind my asking, what sort of doctor are you?"
"I'm an anaesthetist"
"Whoa- that sounds really complicated"
"It's OK" she said. "You just need to study a lot for it".
"So... you're the people who put people to sleep when they have an operation...?"
"Yes, that's right" She responded.

We talked a bit more about music and dance for a while, and how samba is really energetic and really good exercise. That's why salsa clubs play it very sparingly to prevent people from keeling over and dying. She was really into fitness and exercise, too. As am I. We were having a really nice conversation

I paused and looked at her pensively.

"Actually- can you help me understand something, please?"
"Of course." She said.
"Why do most people maintain gaseous induction with sevofluorane instead of enfluorane?"

She dropped her burrito.

"How the f@ck do you know that?" She asked.

[actually- that was a slighly inane question on my part. Enfluorane has a slightly higher propensity to cause seizures. But the shock value was worth it :D]

"Did you used to date an anaesthetist?" she continued.

"No- I'm a doctor, too. I'm emergency, but I'm doing my anaethetics rotation at the moment"

"Well, why didn't you say???"

"You didn't ask! And besides- the look on your face was just priceless!"

I told her that I'd also just done some exams, and was currently doing a research project. We were at identical points in our careers. I worked in Manly, while she was in the eastern Suburbs.

"You seem lovely. I'd really like to take you out for a drink. How do you feel about that?"

"I feel great about that" She replied.

We swapped numbers and agreed to speak later in the week. As she left the restaurant, whe turned and smiled at me as if to say "You cheeky bastard!".
I smiled back as if to say "I know ;)".



That actually happened a few years ago when I was living in Sydney. So why am I telling you about it now? I don't know. Seemed as good a time as any.


Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment