Thursday 13 September 2012

How You Make Me Feel


The story behind this one is pretty simple: After experiences like the ‘Nicolas’ of the world, I can’t help but remember how good a girlfriend Rachel was, to the point where I was on a night shift recently, and I just burst into tears at the memory of falling so passionately in love with her, and being so overwhelmed with emotion that I felt like I was suffocating. At the same time, thought “love you so much, feel I can’t breathe”, but to a melody that I’m pretty sure I hadn’t heard before. I hummed it into my iPhone, and when I got home, I plucked out a baseline, put some chords to it, wrote some words, and in under an hour, I ended up with this:

http://youtu.be/mwoB461Uwf4

This is what it sounds like after the recording studio session:
http://soundcloud.com/victor-steele/2-how-you-make-me-feel

The words are here:


Rachel and I have spoken, and I'm feeling a lot better now. We're still friends, and she thinks it's better we stay that way.

I don’t think I can call myself a songwriter ( I have 5 songs), but when I do write a song, my biggest fear is: “am I stealing this from someone?”, but I honestly don’t think it sounds like anything any of my musical idols have ever done. My singing teacher loves it, and I opened with it at my gig last week. I have a professional guitarist that I sing with, and I sent it to him to learn a few days before. He assumed that I was going to play as well as sing. The thought of doing that petrified me, but then I thought “screw it- do it: it’s my song”. He told me that I had nothing to worry about, as nobody had heard it before, so I could get it catastrophically wrong, and nobody would have a clue. Thankfully, it didn’t go catastrophically wrong. In fact, people really liked it. Not bad for 10 weeks of guitar lessons.

Some of you may remember that I was in a band at school, then the lead guitarist (Munawar) and I went to medical school, and the other 3 members turned professional. Munawar and I would still jam, and would do unplugged sessions and open mic nights, as well as background music for medical school functions. The guy I play with at the moment is really good, but, Munawar, as well as being one of my best friends, you are without doubt the best guitarist I’ve ever met. It’s sad that I’m so far from home. If the UK health service ever sorts itself out, I’m hoping we can start playing again.

What’s that….?

Budget cuts…?

Let’s not hold our breath….

Victor.

No comments:

Post a Comment